Chronic Pain Management Program
The Physio Co’s patient-centred Chronic Pain Management Program (CPMP) helps aged care resi’s stay mobile, safe and happy. The program was created to improve the quality of our residents life.
About chronic pain
Chronic pain is long-lasting, ongoing pain that doesn’t go away and affects the quality of life of those affected. It can be severe. It is estimated that 60-83% of Australian aged care residents are affected. Alarmingly, chronic pain is often seen as ‘normal part of ageing.’ It isn’t! Diagnosis of chronic pain can be very difficult, particularly with the cognitively impaired, who can suffer debilitating pain in silence.
Chronic pain can result in the following symptoms in elderly residents:
- Attention seeking behaviours
- Sleep disturbance
- Increased falls risk
- Social isolation; and
- Many more
Benefits of CPMP for residents
The most significant change that chronic pain management can provide for aged care residents is, very simply, an improvement in quality of life from the reduction of chronic pain.
Indirectly, benefits can include:
- Improved behaviours, cooperation with others, sleep quality and concentration
- Reduced falls and related injuries
- Increased socialisation and participation
- Improved mobility and physical function
- Potential for the reduction of pharmacological pain management
Benefits of CPMP for facilities
There are also benefits for facilities from the improved management of residents’ chronic pain. These include:
- Happier, more comfortable residents
- More satisfied families of residents
- Improved compliance with aged care accreditation standards
- Improved bed occupancy rates
- Improved funding and revenue streams
- Potentially significant financial return on investment via ACFI funding
- Improved staff morale
- Greater physiotherapy presence to assist with resident needs.
How it works
The Physio Co takes care of CPMP implementation and management. This includes:
- The creation of a team to implement the program
- Education of participants
- Creation of treatment plans
- Ongoing communication
- Maintaining quality
The Physio Co works very closely with facility managers and care staff to ensure that programs are viable, effective and patient-centred. The Physio Co tests the success of our programs by the benefits that residents and facilities receive.
For more information or to discuss your individual needs, please contact The Physio Co on 1300 797 793 or send an enquiry here.